Article
· Aug 26, 2020 3m read

Learning new nice things in the FHIR contest

Hi guys.

Recently, I get interest in FHIR in order to run for the IRIS for Health FHIR
contest
. As a beginner on this topic, I've heard somewhat about it, but I didn't know how complex and powerful was FHIR. As pointed out by @Henrique Dias here, you can model several aspects of the patient history and other related entities.

Fortunately, the DC provide very nice material about FHIR and how IRIS for Health could help us to deal with such complexity.

By providing features like transform several health formats to FHIR, and FHIR data could being accessed via SQL or REST, IRIS for Health leads a nice support for perform analytics and reporting tasks.

In this context, I developed a basic technology example project, which I present an example on how to take advantage of the FHIR SQL schema created by IRIS for Health to design a dashboard to provide basic patient analysis. As analytic provider, I used IRIS Analytics (aka DeepSee) and Microsoft Power BI.

The features for transformation from several formats to FHIR helps a lot if your data comes from different sources. Once your data model is based on FHIR SQL schema, much of the ETL work could be done by IRIS Interoperability workflows.

Finally, the REST API. This feature leads to a bunch of applications. In context of my project, I used it to provide reporting view for drill through operations. And as FHIR defines standard resources, you can use read to use - or customize - UI frameworks specifics for FHIR, like fhir-ui, for instance.

As result, if you take a look at the project, you could get some basic ideas on how to:

• Perform basic ETL tasks
  • Cube modeling and management
  • Basic dashboard design, using IRIS and Power BI
  • Use of REST API for reporting details about patients
  • Use of a React/Material Design framework specific for FHIR

I created some documents explaining details about each of these features. Please, check it out:

Hope that could guide and inspire beginners (like me) and give some contribution to experienced people.

See you,
José

Discussion (5)1